Friday, April 30, 2010

What A Day!!






I should be sleeping, but I just can't...I think I'll need lot's of help from you students in class next week!

Last night was the grand opening/Gala event. Like all Arabic/Turkish events...it started late. About 90 minutes late. Though, I think we should give the exhausted organizers a break...I heard that the hotel double-booked the ballroom, so Simone Guzman and her staff did superhuman work to pull it off. Anyway, when I worked in Arabic clubs all the time, starting late was the norm. If they said my show was at 9:00, it was at 10:30. Since I am often on 'Arabic time' myself, that worked well for me. :-) But it's been a while, so it took me by surprise. Back then, 90 minutes late felt right at home. Now, being 20 years older, midnight just doesn't have the same appeal, and I had to leave before all of the performers took the stage. Old age sucks. :-)

Of course, they saved the best till last...except Elena...who opened the show in her own elegant inimitable way... so I missed Yousry, Fifi Ness and Sergan Tutar. But given the caliber of the previous performers, I didn't feel cheated. The shows I did see were wonderful. Each instructor was spectacular in her/his own special way and my excitement for today's classes grew.

I've been meeting dancers from all over the world. Japan, Russia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Turkey (of course), Israel, Singapore, Belgium and Australia. Some I can converse with, others not. But all are very friendly and we're exchanging pictures and Facebook addresses. I had dinner with two Belgian students last night who study with Serkan Tutar - who later joined us. He is VERY nice, down-to-earth and welcoming. You'd never know he is a star. He mentioned having butterflies before his show and, selfishly, I felt better about mine. ;-/

Despite leaving the Gala early, sleep eluded me and my own butterflies have already arrived. I am apparently the only American here so I feel that if I don't do well it's not just a reflection on me but on all American dancers. (Boy, I really need to do something about my ego.)

More tomorrow...

Love,
Kanina

No comments:

Post a Comment