Friday, April 30, 2010

I'm Discovering New Parts of My Body...






...and mostly they're saying, what the hell do you think you're doing? HUH???? Places that I didn't know I had hurt. But wow, I feel GREAT!

It was a wonderful day!

Despite only 4 hours sleep, I was up at 7:30 to prepare for Yousry Sharif's 10 a.m. class. I really, really wanted to shower, stretch and eat before the day began. Luckily, Yousry also started us off with a proper warm-up. He's a terrific choreographer and a good, caring, teacher - very interested in making sure that you leave the class understanding what he's taught. Unfortunately, I'm a rotten student and can never learn the choreography while in class. Perhaps it makes me a better teacher because I can really empathize with students who struggle in class. I learn by watching and then practicing on my own. And I LOVE to watch Yousry dance. His Egyptian style is completely different than what I do and his choreography is exciting and fascinating. He comes alive when he dances (like all the greats do) and the crux is in his feel for the music. The class was heavily attended and I was happy to hang in the back.

Next class was with Fifi Ness. I had seen her on YouTube and fell in love with her style. She is earthy and soulful and this class was in Beledi. OMG, I felt like I was home. Unlike Yousry's, this class was very small, maybe 12 of us, so it was like having a private class with Fifi. She spoke no English and happily another student was able to translate for her when she needed help. She was very interested in us getting to 'feel' the music and took much time showing us hand and facial expressions and stressing the importance of emotion. She didn't do a choreography, rather, took us through various combinations. Right up my alley, since I can only remember three things at a time. I like dancing that way because I can really get into the music rather than worry about getting my feet in the right place.

My next class was supposed to be a veil fusion with Serkan, which I had been looking forward to. My knees and hips had a different idea. I think they were still pissed off about the 14 hour flight and didn't really like dancing on carpet anyway (all the ballrooms are carpeted), so I decided to be kind to my body and take a break. I'll take another class with Serkan tomorrow.

After break I took a class with Tamar bar-gil. Not realizing who she was, I had invited myself to breakfast at her table in the morning... it held a free chair and I didn't want to dine alone. She is somewhat reserved and doesn't speak much English, so I wasn't sure if I was intruding. Nonetheless, she was pleasant and quite beautiful with a long thick mane of curly hair. I was surprised to find, when arriving to class, that she was the teacher. And what a good teacher! Again it was a small but enthusiastic group, very much like a semi-private class. As I said, she speaks little English but was able to communicate clearly what she wanted. What a beautiful, sensual dancer! The class was in 'romantic' dance with much arm, hand and sensous hips. It was fun, fulfilling, and I learned many new ways to move. It was misnamed, though. It should have been called sexy dance; it was just beautiful to see and do.

With only three hours before my show I headed to the whirlpool and steam room to rejuvinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment