Friday, April 30, 2010

Highs & Lows of being in a new country

In our hotel, the room door opens in, not out. I discovered this yesterday when I was unable to re-enter my room and was, of course, in a hurry. The door unlocked, the handle turned, but no matter how much I pulled, the door wouldn't open. Hotel security finially arrived to save the day and voila, one push and it was opened. Boy, did I feel dumb! Memo to self: Push not Pull. (P.S...I've been here 3 days now; I'm still pulling).

Upon arriving at the hotel on Wednesday, I paid for 6 hours of interned use, 18 euro, figuring that's how much time I'd spend durng my stay. I blogged for about 30 minutes. Yesterday I was unable to access the internet. As it turns out...my 6 hours started the minute I purchased service and expired six hours later. There's a lot to learn in a new country!

I spent yesterday afternoon in old Istanbul and visited Sultanhamet, the famed Blue Mosque. Visitors from around the world gather there...but what i really wanted was the whole place to myself. Inside it is cavernous with incredible arches, tile-work and intricately painted designs. Despite the crowds, it felt intimate yet at the same time expansive (of spirit).

Shortly after leaving I heard the meuzzin call to prayer that was broadcast by loudspeaker throughout the area from the minaret. It was beautiful. This is done 5 times a day and is calculated according to the movement of the sun, so it's never exactly the same time. The idea is that there is a prayer being said throughout the world at all times. I like the thought of taking a moment five times a day to reflect on what we are doing. It seems a good way of puting life into perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment