Sunday, May 2, 2010

Oooh, slept in today. Almost

These 4 a.m. nights are killing me. So I decided to skip the morning's first class and sleep late...but I couldn't. Wake up call was for 9:30, but I was up an hour before and excited to dance.

My last day at the festival. Wow. I've been up for 19-20 hours a day but the time just flies by and instead of being tired, I'm energized. Everything has been so wonderful, but most especially, the teachers. I took three extraordinary classes today: Asi Haskal (Egyptian Nostalgia), Serkan Tutar (Modern Drum Solo) and Filiz Dursam (Turkish Karsilama).

Asi Haskal's was a great way to start the day, and it turned out, one of my favorite classes. He's a good and funny teacher and took us through combinations reminiscent of Dina, Fifi Abdo, and Sula (?) Hamdi among others. He was hilarious in his impressions, especially of Hamdi. --- For those of you around my age, his impressions of the Hamdi reminded me of the ones Amir used to do of Fifi Abdo. Very, very funny.

During that class, I felt like I went 'home.' These are the dancers whose styles I learned from and love. There's a graceful, relaxed, coy elegance about them. Since coming back to dance I've been told, more than once, that my style is 'American Cabaret.' I thought, what the hell is that?? After today I think I'll call my style "Nostalgic." Modern Egyptian is different from what I learned and love. I think that it's more frenetic, with much more packed into each eight-count. It's fun to watch and there's the WOW factor, but for me, the older style of dance has more soul.

My next class was with Serkan Tutar, who's class I was REALLY looking forward to. He's an exceptional, energetic and fun dancer and a genuinely nice person. Today's class was Modern Style, and very fast, but again, very exciting. I danced for a while, learned some great new steps...then took lots of notes.

What has truly amazed me about the conference is the energey and accessibility of the teachers. Each teacher has been generous with their time, often posing for pictures with we students for 20 minutes after their hour-and-a-half class. Some even allow us to video their routines...and request that we PLEASE don't post them on YouTube. Some teachers don't want to be filmed, and I can't say as I blame them, but that's a discussion for another time. :-).

Each teacher seems especially happy to be here. We students feel like we're having the time of our lives, but in class, the teachers seem to be feeling the same way! They all teach with great humor and passion, but it's fun passion, not 'you'd better get this or else.'

My last class today was turkish Karslima with Filiz Dursun, who is gorgeous beyond belief and again an energetic, delightful and commanding teacher. Phaedra, I've been thinking that you'd absolutely love the Karshlimar classes. The footwork is so fast that even I had trouble. Armenian Tomzara is a piece of cake compared to this footwork. And again, my knees were asking...are you out of your mind???


Off I go now for a long hot shower before closing Gala. Live music tonight and Elena will be performing. Be still my heart!!
(closing night gala, Asi Haskal dancing in the back ground)


I'm moving to a new hotel tomorrow in Old Istanbul. It's called a 'gem,' and a 'classic.' I think the Turkish translation for that is 'no frills' so I doubt I'll have internet access again. The weather is beautiful, sunny and warm and I'm taking a nine-hour tour of all the sights. Shopping at the Grand Bazaar on Tuesday, then flying home on Wednesday.

Still much to do and see!

Bye for now,
Kanina

2 comments:

  1. Kanina, I finally took the time to read your blog. Your enthusiasm and energy are inspiring. I feel almost like I have been there with you. Can't wait to hear the details and see your purchases.Safe travels home. Pat

    ReplyDelete